Love you forever

Saturday, August 6, 2011

J.O.Y.

If you've heard of or seen the Duggars, you are probably familiar with J.O.Y.  Jesus, others, yourself.  Makes sense to me as a christian, when I put Jesus first, everything else falls into place.  I've seen alot of people roll their eyes at that, heard others say "My children come first" or "I need me time" or "those Duggars are just so extreme, I don't believe a thing they say."  The Duggars have the right idea. 

Upon opening in my eyes in the morning, before even getting out of bed, I say a prayer of thanks to God.  Thankful for another day, thankful for yet another opportunity to serve Him, thankful for my family and all the I have.  By putting God first when I start my day, everything else falls into place.  I am joyful when my children wake up, happily getting them their breakfast.  Giving lots of hugs and kisses, and of course, I love you's.  Of course, I have my coffee and the whole world is a better place ;).

If the morning doesn't go like that, it all falls apart.  If I wake and have to jump out of bed, with not a minute to even think, I'm frazzled, easily frustrated, easily angered.  By putting the needs of everyone first, instead of talking to God, my morning is not off to a good start, and it shows.  We are all in a mood.

When I feed my children, I'm serving God.  When I do the laundry, I'm serving God.  When I do the dishes, I'm serving God.  When I give hugs, kisses and sweet I love you's, I'm serving God.  How?  The bible clearly states "Whatsoever you do to the least of the little ones, you do for me."  Don't remember the exact verse, but it's in there.  The key is doing it all with joy in my heart.  Amongst the chaos of being the mom of 7, living in a small house with no room to move in the kitchen because everyone wants to help, it's hard to bring in the joy.  A dear friend said a couple of weeks ago, when aggravated or having one of those moments with her husband or children, says to the Lord, "Lord, please help me to see what you see."  I ask this every day.

To add to that, when we have a smooth day with not much chaos and fighting, I have time to take care of me, to paint my toenails, read a chapter of a book or knit for a while.  Even having a short conversation with a friend is uplifting.  The fact of the matter is, for me, without the Lord there is no joy or peace.    By putting God first, He puts my family and I first.  By singing praises, by loving, by doing for others, our love for the Lord shows, and our good fruits are being bared. 

Being the mom of many, being the mom of a few or just one, we all go through trying times.  We all face uncertain times, uncertain futures, just many uncertainties in life.  It's a scary world we live in.  The only thing certain is my love for God, my children and my family, and God's love for me, my children and family.

I'm not perfect, far from it.  I'm not a saint, far from it.  However, when I close my eyes at night, saying a prayer of thanks for day, praying for those that need my prayers, I am assured that when I wake, God will give me that little extra moment I need in the morning to touch base with Him, to get the joy and peace I need to get through my day.



1 comment:

  1. As I read this post, I couldn't help but think about Steven Curtis Chapman's "Do Everything".

    You are right, and I have chosen to do the very same thing for quite some time now. It is AMAZING how much better I feel and realizing just how empty I was before I started putting GOD first....and giving thanks each and every day.

    ReplyDelete